WordPress To Blogger Migration
I find the WordPress blogging system way better and more user-friendly than Blogger, or otherwise known as Blogspot. But the free WordPress blog does not allow me to have Google Adsense.
Google AdSense is a program run by Google Inc. that allows publishers in the Google Network of content sites to serve automatic text, image, video, and rich media advertisements that are targeted to site content and audience. These adverts are administered, sorted, and maintained by Google, and they can generate revenue on either a per-click or per-impression basis. Adsense is a superb revenue generating opportunity for small, medium and large websites. The small earning that you would get from the added feature is worth the know-how and effort to migrate.
Because of this, I opted to transfer or export my blog from WordPress and then import it to the WordPress platform. Some of my friends would also want to import their blog from WordPress to Blogger. However, as of this post, there are no direct options available yet. You can not directly import or migrate a WordPress blog to Blogger.
I am thankful to my blogger friends who generously took the effort to teach me the indirect few steps method.
How to migrate/import WordPress to Blogger.
- Login to WordPress, in your Dashboard, click on Tools and then Export.
- Inside the Export page, click on the Export option.
- Choose what to export. You have an option to choose All content, Posts, Pages, or Feedbacks.
- Click on Download Export File. This will start downloading an XML file with this format technospecs.wordpress.2012-06-29. The first part of the filename is the name of your blog, the second part is the wordpress name and the third part is the current date.
- Now, there is a site which allows you to convert a WordPress blog to the Blogger format but is limited to file sizes below 1 MB. If your blog XML file size is bigger than 1 MB, you can use the WXR Splitter to split the XML file to several pieces. The splitter can be downloaded from WXR Splitter. Just extract the executable file, then run the WXR Splitter.
- After the XML file has been split into several parts below 1 MB, use the WordPress2Blogger site to convert each file to the Blogger format. The site is located here: WordPress2Blogger. The converted files would each have a file format like this: blogger-export.xml. Make sure the files don’t overwrite each other by renaming each one of them after every conversion.
- Now let’s import the converted files to Blogger. Go to your Blogger blog Settings, then click on Other.
- In the Other page, click on Import blog. Import all of the converted files into Blogger one by one.
- All of these blog files will be imported to Blogger and you now could just make some minor corrections and adjustments.
- You can now publish them to your new Blogger blog after doing some editing.